Weather and computing.

No. 16    Saturday 1 October 2011

The first of the pre-winter jobs was done today - I had my 'flu vaccination.  This was a very simple procedure which involved a 10 minute ride to the surgery, a couple of minutes in there, and a 10 minute ride back.  The warm weather helped because, for the first time this year, yesterday (when I went shopping) and today, I have been out without wearing my windcheater.  This saves me about 15 minutes in getting it from its hook and struggling into it.

Things don't always go right.  I thought I had a suitable microphone for using a speech recognition program so I paused this blog to try it out.  After many attempts something didn't work in the program so I've given up for now and will try to puzzle it out later.  That is, I find, the difficulty with modern software - it doesn't allow for simple souls like me being unable to grasp the finer points.  On the subject of computers, I tend to be specially cautious - as I believe I have mentioned that I don't use these 'social networking' sites like Facebook or YouTube because of the risk of identity theft.  Well I have taken another protective step.  Even though I have a very good anti-virus program, I have transferred the details of my financial dealings (except my day-to-day banking) to a USB stick.  The reason for this is that if someone somewhere gets into my computer, those details will not be available to them.  I intend doing the same with passwords once I've listed them all.

The current spell of warm weather has been just what I need - unless the temperature is at, or above 24C I feel cold !!  The only problem is that it cannot last as we're just into October.  I sometimes wish I was a bear and could hibernate from October to March. At least I reduce my outdoor expeditions to a minimum during the colder weather despite having a very good quilted coat, a cover for legs and feet and mitts which protect my hands.  The difficulty is putting that lot on, I have to allow half-an-hour for it.

Having spent eleven mornings when my music has been dance music, checking my new CDs, I haven't played any big band music this week.  Instead I have kept to my other two favourite types for my morning background music, Trad Jazz and Brass or Military bands.  I really must stop carrying on about music in these blogs - the trouble is that apart from that and computing there's not a lot I can do which keeps me away from the TV (which tends to dominate many peoples lives).  I do ration myself in the amount of TV I watch, by time brackets rather than particular programme series.  I avoid 'soaps' like the plague, and also hospital dramas (having spent enough time in them myself).

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment