Health etc.


No. 33    Thursday 27 September 2012

Late again - as usual!! It was only because I am using my word recognition program to enter the track names of the CDs which I have recorded, that I remembered I hadn’t put anything on my blog lately. All of my CDs are now on my clever machine (a Brennan JB7) but I ended up with 77 of the 479 which it didn’t recognise from its database. It takes quite a while to dictate all the track names especially with a CD, which I had recently, with 28 tracks. At least I am progressing albeit very slowly.

A couple of weeks ago I had almost 2 days in hospital, not my most favourite place to stay. It turned out that the probable cause of my feeling seriously unwell was due to 2 different tablets which I take for different functions had similar side-effects which doubled the result. This meant that between them they dropped my blood pressure a little too far - that was the explanation the consultant gave. Thinking back that also explains problems which I had intermittently since January and which two visits to A&E, the attentions of three doctors, multiple ECGs and numerous blood and urine tests had failed to solve. Now all I have to do is reduce the frequency of one of the tablets - with the approval of my GP.

My stay in hospital was not as horrid as I was expecting. The nurses were very good, cheerful and obliging. I have to keep a rolled up crêpe bandage in my right hand to stop it closing up altogether, and the one I was using when I went into hospital was pretty grubby because I hadn’t got around to making a new one. One of the assistant nurses on the night I was there had noticed this and asked if she should make me a new one. I explained to her how it was done and so now I have a nice clean one which she prepared for me. I also found that the food for the one main meal which I had there was very good and was served warm in a rather clever insulated container. I had chicken and ham pie and the lady who served it to me was kind enough to cut it up so that I could eat it with a spoon (a necessity because of my limited hand use).

I feel sorry for all the people affected by the recent flooding in various parts of the UK. At least Gloucester has escaped this time but I think that where I am living is very unlikely to suffer from floods, even though I have a small stream at the bottom of the garden. This stream runs in a channel which is about 2 m below the lower part of my garden which in turn is about 1 m below the upper part. When I bought this bungalow checks were done to see if there had been any flooding in the past - fortunately the result was negative.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment