Life goes on

No. 9    Friday 15 July 2011

My 6 year old washer/dryer had developed a third fault so I decided it needed replacing.  I had managed a work-around for the first two faults, but this third one needed an engineer.  As it was obviously beginning to show its age I realised that the costs of repairs would mount up  so buying a new one was advisable.  The purchase was the problem - should I go to a shop to find one, or would the Internet suffice.  Although the weather was favourable enough for going out yesterday, I decided to try the Internet first.  This decision proved to be correct - it took a little over half-an-hour to find one which matched my requirements, buy it, and arrange for delivery.  It was delivered and installed just before lunchtime today and they took the old one away.  In going through the inevitable paperwork I found that I could register it on line - which I did.  I think that must go down in history as the smoothest, most trouble-free major purchase that I have made and furthermore there was a great saving of time.

In an earlier blog I mentioned that I was waiting for the workmen to fit a fence on the far side of the brook at the end of my 'garden'.  A couple of weeks ago this was done and it achieved the aim of blocking the view to/from the bungalow immediately behind.  I thought that had completed the work that needed doing outside, but when I went out to the postbox (just up the road) I noticed that I had forgotten about the footpath which runs up the side of the bungalow.  I rarely go up the road in that direction and never go along that path (which only leads to the 'garden') so hadn't really noticed how dilapidated it is - it was the good crop of marigolds on it which drew my attention to it.  Oh well, I'll have to get something done about it fairly soon while the weather is not too foul.

Mornings, I have decided, are definitely not my favourite time of day!!  I have never been a 'morning person' in fact I remember reading somewhere that one is at one's best at about the same time of day that one was born.  As I was born at about 7.30pm that theory would explain my dislike of mornings.  Anyway, having limitations to my abilities makes what were normal activities into a struggle of  serious proportions.  Of course, I could always get a carer to help me along but my independence would be compromised if I did that and there would be a tendency for me to get help with other jobs.  All this would mean that I wouldn't be able to enjoy doing things that I like doing when I feel like doing them rather than fitting in with someone else's schedule.  At present I only have to fit in  with the timings of those who come to put on my socks and shoes and pull up the duvet, and I have specified their approximate times.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment